Friday, September 16, 2011

Iodatometric Titration

"Iodatometric titration" seems to be an uncommon terms, I couldn't get enough reference about it. But, I learned this method of titration in my school. Iodatometric titration is one type of redox titration involving iodine.  


Based on Vogel's Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, oxidation and reduction processes involving iodine termed as Iodometric titrations. Iodometric titrations method separated into two groups that are direct iodometric titration that sometimes termed iodimetry and indirect that sometimes termed iodometry.


In iodimetry, it employs iodine solution in potassium iodide but in iodometry will happen iodine liberation.


In iodatometric titration, will be happened iodine liberation (indirect method). The "iodatometric" term there shows that iodate is used as the titrant. Beside that, in this method potassium iodide is used as the source of iodine. Potassium iodide will be oxidize by iodate become iodine in the presence of strong acid. 


This is the reaction in ascorbic acid (vitamin c) titration using iodimetry:
C6H8O6 + I2 → C6H6O6 + 2I- + 2H+


This is the reaction in ascorbic acid (vitamin c) titration using iodatometry:
5I- + IO3- + 6H+ → 3I2 + 3H2O (this is the first step of the reaction, iodine is generated first)
C6H8O6 + I2 → C6H6O6 + 2I- + 2H(ascorbic acid then oxidized by the liberated iodine)


References:
Iodometric Titration
Iodometric Titration of vitamin c (ascorbic acid)
Vogel's Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 5th Ed.


Artikel Terkait/Related Articles



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment

and please click Subscribe by Email to be notified for upcoming comments.